Car Winter Storage Tips
If you’re looking to park your car for the next couple of winter months, these tips are for you. The right storage prep is important to extend the life of your vehicle and help avoid potentially costly repairs when you’re ready to rev up again in the spring.
So, what matters most when it comes to winter storage for your car? Location! Knowing your storage options is the first step. A climate-controlled facility is ideal for worry-free winter storage. Things like rodents, car covers, and vehicle security aren’t going to be a concern in a climate-controlled storage unit. Most average sedans will fit in a 10×20 storage unit. For a larger vehicle, look for unit sizes that go all the way up to 20×20.
Comparable to garage space, outdoor storage units with drive-up access are incredibly popular due to their convenient accessibility. You can pull your vehicle right up to the storage unit.
No matter what you choose for winter car storage, here are a few prep steps to check off.
- Wash and wax the interior and exterior of your vehicle.
- Place a garage mat underneath your vehicle to catch any fluid leaks from staining the concrete.
- Auto mechanics and professionals recommend topping off the fluids in your vehicle, starting with antifreeze.
- Fill up your fuel tank before storing it for the winter months and consider adding a fuel stabilizer.
- It is recommended to change the oil in a vehicle that will be out of use for a while.
- Clean and wash your tires, too, and make sure they are fully inflated to the recommended psi.
- A car cover protects your newly cleaned and waxed vehicle from dirt, dust, and other winter elements or critters from scratching your paint.
We’re your experts in storage, so be sure to check with a car professional for their advice before you park for an extended period of time. With A Plus Super Storage, we can have you cruising in no time with safe, secure, and protected vehicle storage. We have a stellar reputation in the Lubbock community. Any of our onsite managers are more than happy to answer any storage-related questions you may have. Give us a shout today!