5 Easy Steps to Make Renting a Breeze
Are you thinking of renting a storage unit for your vehicle or belongings? If a move is on your mind or if you could use a little extra space to store your things, a storage unit might be just what you need! Here are 5 tips that will make renting easier to manage on move-in or move-out day.
- Know Before You Go. Make a list of everything going into the unit. This will help you plan and organize your space to make the most out of your storage rental. You’ll be glad you took the time to write down and itemize your items!
- Be Prepared. If you’re storing household items in boxes, make sure they are taped and secured all the way around with the contents marked clearly and visibly. Renting for automobile storage? Consider vehicle or tire covers for that extra layer of protection. If you’re storing furniture, placing blankets between pieces can prevent dings and scratches. Having the right supplies on hand will make packing and unpacking your storage unit a little bit easier.
- Label Everything. Label each and every item you store into your unit, and remember, the more detailed the better! A kitchen box could mean breakable glass or plastic tupperware, so writing a list of contents on the box will make unpacking easier. If you plan to keep your items in storage for an extended length of time, clear or plastic bins will hold up longer than traditional cardboard.
- Think Outside the Box. Furniture can be stacked, emptied or disassembled to give you more room for storage. Keep furniture vertical when possible and pushed all the way to the back. Storing a dresser? Use a drawer for furniture legs or other parts. Be sure the heaviest items are on the bottom, and that goes for your boxes, too.
- Store for Easy Access. Store the items you will use most often at the front of your unit. Maybe you’ve already done some spring cleaning and have winter items going in? Those should be packed away towards the back and clearly labeled. This method will keep your space tidy and will help you get in and out quickly!
A few more insider tips:
- Understand your rental agreement, and don’t get locked into lengthy contracts or minimum stays.
- Choose the right size unit so you don’t overpay for what you actually need. Try an online space estimator tool like ours!
- Familiarize yourself with the hours of operation and location of your storage unit.
- Make sure safety is a priority. Look for storage facilities that are secured and well-lit.
- Look for a facility that is rooted in the community. If they care about their community, they will go the extra mile for you as a renter.
For your convenience, A-Plus Super Storage offers online services so you can browse and rent a storage unit from the comfort of your own home! Our helpful customer service staff can also guide you through choosing the right unit at the best location to match your storage needs.